We could all use an escape sometimes. David Lloyd Clubs’ brand-new SPIRIT classes are designed to give you a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. With elements of yoga, Pilates and meditation, our holistic SPIRIT classes are dynamic but subtly calming, and will leave you feeling relaxed, energised and ready to go about the rest of your day. Want to know more? Here’s what SPIRIT classes are all about:
What is SPIRIT?
SPIRIT classes bring together strength, power, energy and calm for a holistic experience that will help you reset for the day ahead, or help you to wind down in the evening. Set to beautiful, motivating music, this workout is a journey of postures that are centered around building core strength, while increasing flexibility and mobility. Ending with a mindful sound meditation, SPIRIT classes give you an opportunity to slow down and focus on you and your personal wellness for a little while.
How does a SPIRIT class work?
Your SPIRIT instructor will guide you through the unique class experience. Each class follows a similar format, starting with a warmup designed to create an engaged mindset, mobilise the key muscle groups and to set the scene for the class. The order and specific moves may vary, but each class will include a combination of the following:
- Sun salutation: focuses on releasing tension in hamstrings, shoulders and chest, increasing range of motion in joints.
- Standing strong: increases the tempo and raises heart rate so you start to feel the burn in your muscles. Key moves will strengthen muscle groups and joints in the lower body (calves, thighs, ankles) and back.
- Balance: dials it down a little to calm heart rate. Moves focus to the core to boost stability and help build better posture.
- Flow: combines moves into a sequence that will help build confidence. The music will guide the tempo and movement.
- Posterior: exercises focused on the back, that will reduce the risk of injury and help balance the body’s physique.
- Core: leads to better balance and stability while improving posture.
- Stretch: focuses on releasing tension, improving flexibility and calming the mind.
- 3 minutes of sound meditation
What is sound meditation?
Sound meditation is a type of meditation that gives you sound and vibrations to focus on. If you’re new to meditation, incorporating sound can help you bring your awareness to the present more easily. Some benefits of sound meditation include:
- Restore a sense of balance
- Help you think more positively
- Reduce stress, anxiety, and feelings of anger and depression
- Improve sleeping patterns and sleep quality
- Reduce fatigue
All SPIRIT classes wrap up with a 3-minute sound meditation period accompanied by bespoke music created by a composer and sound healing practitioner.
SPIRIT is part of a range of Signature fitness classes that are exclusive to David Lloyd Clubs. Watch the video to find out more about the Signature fitness classes that are available.
Want to sign up for a SPIRIT class? Find a David Lloyd Club near you